Kettle logic (la logique du chaudron within the fresh French) is a rhetorical tool wherein one makes expend of a pair of arguments to defend a level, nevertheless the arguments are inconsistent with each and each other.
Jacques Derrida makes expend of this expression in reference to the amusing “kettle-myth”, that Sigmund Freud relates in The Interpretation of Dreams (1900) and Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious (1905).
Philosophy and psychoanalysis
The name “logique du chaudron” derives in Jacques Derrida from an instance feeble by Sigmund Freud for the analysis of “Irma’s dream” in The Interpretation of Dreams and in his Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious.
Freud relates the myth of a man who used to be accused by his neighbour of getting returned a kettle in a broken situation and the three arguments he provides.
- That he had returned the kettle undamaged
- That it used to be already broken when he borrowed it
- That he had never borrowed it within the necessary situation
Although the three arguments are inconsistent, Freud notes that it is so remarkable the upper, as if even one is discovered to be correct then the man will secure to be acquitted.
The kettle “logic” of the dream-work is said to what Freud calls the embarrassment-dream of being bare, within the course of which contradictory opposites are yoked collectively within the dream. Freud mentioned that in a dream, incompatible (contradictory) tips are concurrently admitted. Freud furthermore supplied assorted examples of how a symbol in a dream can web in itself contradictory sexual meanings.
To delay on the kettle logic of needs, one will secure to know the relationship between kettle logic itself and the nature of contradiction. Kettle logic, though a instrument that could most doubtless be simply seen, is meant to present itself as fact. In other words, kettle logic is a come of mixing contradictions to fabricate a case. These contradictory arguments are keep collectively subsequent to 1 any other; they are supplied as if the contradictions themselves originate no longer exist. This pertains to conception to be one of Freud’s views on needs. An instance of here’s the aforementioned dream of being bare. Here is one aspect of the “exorbitant” logic of dreaming, where the logic itself lies conclude to illogical conception.
- Obtain 22 situation
- Different pleading: some forms constitute loyal expend of kettle logic
- Argument within the choice
- List of fallacies
- ^ Jacques Derrida, Resistances of Psychoanalysis, trans. Peggy Kamuf, Pascale-Anne Brault and Michael Naas (Palo Alto: Stanford College Press, 1998).
- ^ The Interpretation of Dreams, in long-established model of the Total Psychological Works of Sigmund Freud, (trans. A. A. Brill), 4: 119-20
- ^ Jokes and Their Relation to the Unconscious, long-established model 13: 62 and 206
- ^ a b Mills, Jon (2004) Rereading Freud: psychoanalysis by philosophy p.14
The peculiarities of the logic of the dream-work could most doubtless furthermore be viewed taking situation nearly from the starting up of The Interpretation of Dreams. […] This “kettle logic,” as Derrida calls it,11 exemplifies the logic of the dream-work. It’s a ways likewise with that model in what Freud calls the embarrassment-dream of being bare. […] Here, then, there is a logic that yokes contradictory opposites collectively within the dream.
- ^ Kabbalah and postmodernism: a dialogue By Sanford L. Drob p.139 and notes at p 292
- ^ Elliot R. Wolfson (2007) “Oneiric Imagination and Mystical Annihilation in Habad Hasidism”[permanent dead link] in ARC, The Journal of the Faculty of Non secular Examine, McGill College 35 (2007): 131-157.
- ^ Sigmund Freud The Interpretation of Dreams, translated by A. A. Brill, pp.366-373 citation:
Contradictory thoughts [widersprechende Gedanken] originate no longer strive and cast off every and each other, nevertheless continue side by side, and continually mix to fabricate condensation-merchandise, as if no contradiction existed. […] The suppressed psychic cloth, which within the waking advise has been prevented from expression and decrease off from inner conception by the mutual neutralization of contradictory attitudes [durch die gegensätzliche Erledigung der Widersprüche], finds ways and plot, under the sway of compromise-formations, of obtruding itself on consciousness for the length of the night.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.*(2)
At any rate, the interpretation of needs is the by the utilization of regia to an recordsdata of the unconscious component in out psychic life.
[…] *(2) If I cannot affect the gods, I will fire up Acheron.
- ^ Jane Marie Todd – 1990 Autobiographics in Freud and Derrida p 109 citation:
For the flower is conception to be one of many examples that Freud chooses to snarl the contradictory (sexual) meanings that a single dream symbol can web. Finally, this instance from The Interpretation of Dreams performs a prominent function in Derrida’s article on metaphor, “La Mythologie Blanche” (1971).
- ^ Sigmund Freud The Interpretation of Dreams, translated by A. A. Brill, pp.366
- Kettle Common sense, Freud on Defensive Arguments: https://web.archive.org/web/20101206112449/http://www.harris-greenwell.com/HGS/FreudsKettleLogic